TAM's Entertainment News
- AMY SCHUMER DROPS OUT OF 'BARBIE,' GUSHES ABOUT BOYFRIEND
Amy Schumer won’t star in Sony’s live-action Barbie movie, she revealed. In a statement, she blamed scheduling conflicts, adding: "The film has so much promise, and Sony and Mattel have been great partners. I’m bummed, but look forward to seeing Barbie on the big screen."
Schumer’s casting as Barbie in December was not without controversy, with online trolls claiming that she was "too fat" to play the role of Barbie.
- She slapped back at body-shaming critics on Instagram, writing: "I am strong and proud of how I live my life and say what I mean and fight for what I believe in and I have a blast doing it with the people I love. Where’s the shame? It’s not there. It’s an illusion. Anyone who has ever been bullied or felt bad about yourself I am out there fighting for you, for us. And I want you to fight for yourself too! We need to laugh at the haters and sympathize with them."
- The project is still seeking a director but Mattel and producers Walter F. Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Amy Pascal are still involved.
- In a statement, Sony said: "We respect and support Amy’s decision. We look forward to bringing Barbie to the world and sharing updates on casting and filmmakers soon."
- The Barbie movie has to stick to its release date of June 29th, 2018 as Mattel has a product rollout already set for that time.
- Schumer could reportedly no longer commit due to a promo tour for the comedy Snatched (which co-stars Goldie Hawn and opens in May) and a reshoot of She Came to Me (co-starring Steve Carell).
- Meanwhile, Schumer is also keeping busy on the love front. In Glamour UK’s May cover story, the comedian opened up about her relationship with boyfriend Ben Hanisch, explaining that he takes her fame in stride: "He’s really cool. It’s not a problem to be around any of the sorts of people who are at these events. He takes it all in his stride. But when I say, ‘Shall we get out of here?’ he’s like, ‘Yes!’ I’m so lucky that I met him."
- R2-D2 MAKES APPEARANCE AT CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLD'S HEARTWARMING MEMORIAL
The lives of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds were celebrated and memorialized at a public ceremony held at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills where the iconic mother and daughter were buried.
Todd Fisher, Dan Akroyd, Carrie’s high school friends and even R2-D2 appeared to share their love and memories of the talented, spunky pair. Other family members and friends were also among the mourners. A star-studded private service was held previously in January.
- The reception hall at Forest Lawn Memorial Park packed in 1,200 people. The ceremony kicked off with a video montage featuring highlights from their lives, public and private, including home videos. In the background, "You’re Beautiful," by James Blunt played. Blunt and Carrie were extremely close, and she was godmother to one of his children.
- As the tribute played out, Todd was seen comforting a mourning R2-D2.
- SNL alum Akroyd then took the stage and regaled the audience with details of their romance, which ended in 1980, and their long friendship.
- "Although Carrie and I did not get married, we had taken blood test in anticipation of maybe having a child," he said. "So what would the offspring of Princess Leia and Elwood Blues turn out like? Funny? Quick? Spiritual, haunted, pursued, talented, acerbic...deviant, manic, genius...in other words, we would've had Todd Fisher."
- Todd, Debbie’s son and Carrie’s brother said: "My mother didn't like memorials or funerals," Todd, 59, told the crowd Saturday. "She liked shows, parties...so this show was really time for you to be in our living room as if we were all a big family."
- Carrie, 60, and Debbie, 84, died within one day of each other last December.
- Todd recalled: "She said to me many times, 'I never want to go to my daughter's funeral,'" Todd recalled. "So she said, 'I would like to change my burial plans and I would like to buried with Carrie. I didn't know she was going to leave us the very next day."
- In addition to the video montage and remembrances, a teen dance troop recreated an iconic Singin’ in the Rain sequence with a touch of hip hop, the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles performed a tribute, actress Ruta Lee sang "I’ll be Seeing You" in honor of Debbie’s charity work, among other touching tributes and remembrances.
- The entire memorial was live-streamed for fans who were unable to make it, but wanted to be a part of it.
- AMANDA SEYFRIED AND THOMAS SADOSKI WELCOME FIRST CHILD
What a week! Amanda Seyfried and Thomas Sadoski welcomed their first child just a week after Sadoski revealed the news that they got married in a secret ceremony.
Sadoski announced their new relationship status on The Late Late Show last week, flashing his wedding band and explaining that they wed on March 12th.
- Sadoski explained their decision to elope: "We just took off into the country with an officiant and just the two of us, and we did our thing…We had a great day. It was perfect."
- Seyfried gave birth to a baby girl, but her name has not yet been revealed.
- Seyfried has been open about wanting children for some time, telling Marie Claire UK in August of 2015 that she was eager to become a mother.
- "I keep feeling like my eggs are dying off. I need to get on it… I want a child. Badly. I want to be a mother, badly," she shared. "That's what I feel. I've been feeling it for like, two years. I'm not ready but nobody's ready. It changes everything… so how you can ever be ready for that?"
- FAMILY FILMS ROCK THE BOX OFFICE
Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers are continuing a trend that seems even bigger than the stars who are driving it.
Beauty and the Beast’s second box office weekend brought in around $90.4 million according to industry estimates reported in Deadline.
- That makes it the fourth best second weekend ever behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($149.2M), Jurassic World ($106.5M) and Marvel’s The Avengers ($103M).
- Families also flocked to Lionsgate’s Power Rangers reboot, which brought in $40.5 million for its opening weekend.
- There’s a gender split between the movies, Deadline reports with Power Rangers pulling in over 60% males, while Beauty still clocking over 70% women.
- The casts in both movies are thought to be a draw, with Emma Watson bringing in viewers for Beauty and fresh faces in Power Rangers drawing new fans.
- TERRENCE HOWARD SAYS HE'S 'NEVER BEEN ABUSIVE'
Terrence Howard has denied he has ever been abusive to any of his ex-wives. The Empire star has taken to social media to clarify some comments he made in a recent interview with People, in which he said, "I’ve made terrible mistakes throughout my life." "I still have growing to do," Howard told the publication. "I just hope the mistakes I make now are smarter mistakes."
The actor has faced allegations of violence toward his ex-wives, but despite previously admitting slapping his first wife, the 48-year-old now claims he has never been abusive. "I’ve never been abusive to anyone in my entire life," he tweeted Saturday. "When I say that I’ve made mistakes, it is not regarding violence but judgment," he added.
The actor was arrested in 2001 and pled guilty for disorderly conduct after punching first wife Lori McCommas "twice with a close fist," according to police. The couple were married in 1994 and divorced in 2003. They later remarried in 2005 and divorced for the second time in 2007. "She was talking to me real strong, and I lost my mind and slapped her in front of the kids," Howard told Rolling Stone in 2015.
Howard’s second wife Michelle Ghent was granted a restraining order against him in 2013 after she alleged he kicked her and threatened to kill her. The actor claimed he was acting in self-defense.
Howard is currently married to third wife, Mira Pak, and the couple has two sons – Qirin, 22 months, and Hero, seven months.
- CELEBRITY GOSSIP
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK STAR SAMIRA WILEY MARRIES LAUREN MORELLI: Off the market! Orange Is the New Black star Samira Wiley married her longtime girlfriend Lauren Morelli in Palm Springs on Saturday, Martha Stewart Weddings reports. The newlyweds met on the set of the Netflix show and married in the same place they were engaged last October. Wiley’s parents officiated at the ceremony. Samira and Lauren both wore Christian Siriano and during their first dance, a confetti canon was set off and rained down on their guests.
CHRISTINA EL MOUSSA SLAPS BACK AT MOM-SHAMERS: Christina El Moussa is not having it! The Flip or Flop star took to Instagram on Saturday to respond to fans who questioned her move to set up a bikini photo shoot with her 6-year-old daughter. El Moussa posted another swim-themed photo. In the caption she wrote: "Our first slumber party!! ... 6 kids, a dog and 2 moms," she captioned a fun photo of the kids playing in an above-ground pool in the backyard. "So fun, crazy, but so fun ... @caraclarknutrition ... love you always ❤ *sorry just realized kids in swimwear again.. it's cali people it's what we do*" What do you think of her decision to allow Taylor to star in a swimsuit ad?
AMBER HEARD RECALLS COMING OUT AS BISEXUAL: When Amber Heard came out as bisexual in 2010, she realized that "it was a big deal" to everyone – but her. After she spilled the beans on Ellen, she was told that "As a leading lady, there's a certain amount of wish fulfillment. I was asked 'How is anyone going to invest in you romantically if they think you're unavailable?'" she remembers at The Economist's second annual Pride & Prejudice event in New York City Thursday. "I said, 'Watch me do it.'" Since then, Heard has both gotten starring roles The Rum Diary, Machete Kills, Magic Mike XXL and The Danish Girl and managed to support and fight for LGBTQ causes. Do you think times have changed, allowing for greater freedom in the way people define their sexuality?
JON GOSSELIN LANDS NEW GIG AS STRIPPER: Jon Gosselin is changing careers! The former Jon and Kate Plus 8 star has landed a gig as a stripper performing with the Untamed Male Revue in Atlantic City’s Dusk Nightclub. He will take the stage for one night only on April 1st. He and ex-wife Kate Gosselin have a publicly contentious relationship. Kate has full legal custody of twins Cara Gosselin and Mady Gosselin, 16, and sextuplets Colin, Aaden Gosselin, Alexis Gosselin and Hannah Gosselin, Joel Gosselin and Leah Gosselin, 12. Would you go see Jon strip?
STEVEN YEUN’S WIFE JOANA PAK SHARES FIRST PIC OF THEIR BABY: He’s zonked! Walking Dead star Steven Yeun’s wife Joanna Pak posted the first photo of their newborn. In the black and white shot, she is sitting and holding the baby who is lying on his black in an oversized onesie, sleeping contentedly while mom cradles him. Yeun and Pak have not shared his name.
- INDUSTRY NEWS
J.COLE DOCUMENTARY COMING TO HBO: J. Cole: 4 Your Eyez Only, A Dreamville Film, will premiere on HBO in April. The documentary, co-directed by Scott Lazer and J.Cole, is a follow-up to the concert film and tour film J. Cole Forest Hills Drive: Homecoming. The sequel will feature performances and stories of lower-income residents in Louisiana, Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina and Arkansas. The documentary will premiere on April 15th at 10 pm.
EDWARD JAMES OLMOS SIGNS ON FOR SHANE BLACK’S PREDATOR: Edward James Olmos is joining The Predator, Shane Black’s reboot of the sci-fi franchise. Boyd Holbrook is leading a cast that includes Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Trevante Rhodes, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Yvonne Strahovski and Olivia Munn.
TAYLOR JOHN SMITH JOINS AMY ADAMS IN SHARP OBJECTS: The HBO adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s Sharp Objects is welcoming Taylor John Smith to the cast. The straight-to-series eight-episode drama focuses on journalist Camille Preaker (Amy Adams) who returns to her hometown to cover the murder of two girls. Smith will play murder suspect John Keene.
ZOMBIELAND DIRECTOR TO HELM ACTION COMEDY ARCHER & ARMSTRONG: Indie comic publisher Valiant Entertainment is continuing its push into movie production. The latest project is action-comedy Archer & Armstrong, which will be helmed and adapted by Zombieland’s Ruben Fleischer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Valiant is also developing comedy Quantum & Woody with Joe and Anthony Russo as executive producers.
NETFLIX IN TALKS FOR MOTLEY CRUE BIOPIC: Netflix is in serious talks to make Dirt, a biopic depicting the rise and fall of 1980s heavy metal band Motley Crue. The film is based on Neil Strauss’ bestseller The Dirt: Confessions of the World’s Most Notorious Rock Band. Band members Tommy Lee, Vince Neil, Mick Mars and Nikki Sixx contributed to the book and will co-produce the film. Jackass’ Jeff Tremain will helm. Dirt was previously developed at Focus.